The spirit of Halloween is based on do-it-yourself creativity. From homemade costumes to a spruced-up trick bag, the more handmade a prop is, the more authentic the experience feels–especially if it looks and tastes memorable.
Last year I was invited to a friend’s birthday / Halloween party where everything, even the cake’s candles, was made with cannabis. Loving the creativity and presentation, I wanted to make some of the same desserts she painstakingly concocted for my own spooky costume party. But instead of making cannabutter, I used some dispensary-bought candy and store-bought cake mix.
From my personal experimentation with edibles, I’ve found using cannabis-infused chocolate is the best option. Chocolate bars are multipurpose; they come in several flavor combos and can be adapted for and incorporated into countless dessert recipes. So after some kitchen trial-and-error, I’m sharing some easy tricks to create the perfect infused treats for your own All Hallows’ Eve cannabis party!
Each of these recipes requires a cannabis-infused edible that you can have delivered to your address using Nugg. I had the edible ingredients brought directly to my doorstep while I was hanging cobwebs and carving jack-o-lanterns. Can’t find a Nugg dispensary that carries them around you? Contact Nugg’s Cannabis Concierge for help.
Using a box of cake mix (vanilla or chocolate works best) and cannabis-infused cocoa nibs.
Prep Time: 5 – 10 mins
Cook Time: 9 – 10 mins
- 1 box (16.5 oz) of vanilla or chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup oil vegetable oil
- 2 eggs.
- Pack of Flav 100mg Cocoa Nibs Dark Chocolate Bars
- Pack of edible eyes
- Pack of edible fangs
- Marshmallows or marshmallow bites
- Spoon, spatula, hand mixer or standing mixer
- Baking sheet
- Wax paper or silicone baking mat
- Microwave or stovetop and a double boiler (saucepan and metal or glass bowl also works)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Lightly coat the parchment paper with butter to prevent sticking.
- Melt the pack of Flav 100mg Cocoa Nibs in the microwave 1-3 minutes or chop them up and add in a double boiler for easy melting.
- In a large bowl combine the 2 eggs, oil, melted cannabis chocolate, the wet ingredients, before slowly adding the dry cake mix.
- Mix well.
- Use any kind of spoon or a small ice cream scoop to place rounded balls on to the lined cookie sheet. You can make them any size, but I like to shape mine about an inch because they’re easier to decorate that way.
- Place marshmallows on the raw cookie dough before placing in the oven.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes depending on your level of desired gooeyness.
- Let the cookies rest for 3-5 minutes cool either using a fan or the environment around you.
- Use some of the melted chocolate as glue to press on the edible eyes and wax fangs on the cookies. Use either a small spoon or a tooth pick to spread the chocolate on the back of the candy decorations and gently place them on the cookies. Place in the fridge for around 30 mins to let the chocolate harden.
Option: Skip melting the Flav cocoa nibs and place these chopped or broken pieces on top of the cookie dough, alongside the marshmallows.
Using cannabis-infused cookies and chocolate
Prep: The day before Halloween. Usually takes 30 mins to an hour.
- A pack of candy eyes
- 2 packs of Korova Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies (20 cookies)
- 1 pack cream cheese.
- KIVA Blackberry Dark Chocolate Bar
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips
- 3 – 4 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- Food processor or a heavy, blunt object (mallet, rolling pin, bottle) and a Ziploc bag
- Large bowl
- Refrigerator (for best results)
- Ground the Korova Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies in the food processor or put in the Ziploc bag and smash them with a mallet or rolling pin to produce fine crumbs.
- Mix the cookie crumbs and cream cheese to create a batter.
- Form the dough into balls (number will vary, based on size) and place on a plate or cookie sheet.
- Melt the Kiva BlackBerry Dark Chocolate Bar in a bain-marie or microwave for 1 minute, stop to check, and then cook at 30-second intervals to make sure chocolate doesn’t overcook; thin with vegetable oil.
- Dip the cream cheese cookie balls in the chocolate, making sure they’re fully coated. If you don’t want to get messy use a toothpick to dip.
- Decorate the wet balls with the googly eyes and add the milk chocolate chips as horns.
- Refrigerate overnight to harden.
Note: This recipe is customizable as the measurements can be modified depending on your party’s size.
For the last-minute party planner.
Prep: The day before Halloween. Usually takes 15 – 40 mins, depending on your decorative detail. Let harden overnight.
- Any size Rice or Cocoa Krispie Bars (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 Défoncé Chocolatier 90mg THC Vanilla Chocolate Bar
- 3-4 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Edible googly eyes
- Edible Halloween decorations (tiny ghouls, candy corn, etc.)
- White chocolate
- A large bowl
- Your imagination
- A helping hand (optional)
- Cut the marshmallow rice treats in half or leaving as is.
- Melt the cannabis-infused chocolate bar in a bain-marie or microwave for 1 minute, stop to check, and then cook at 30-second intervals to make sure chocolate doesn’t overcook; thin with vegetable oil.
- Dip half of the Rice Krispie treat in the chocolate (you’ll want to tread lightly to start) and let them drip on the bars vertically to get that oozy, slimy look.
- Decorate your monster however you want and unleash your inner artist.
- Refrigerate your unique chocolate covered cannabis creature until hardened (1 hour – overnight).
Note: This recipe is especially enjoyable with friends; you can even have a contest for the most elaborate monster bar.
I hope you enjoy these creepy cannabis-infused treats. My goal was to create easy-to-make Halloween edibles that didn’t suck up too much time as I planned costumes and at parties. Remember, all the cannabis-infused ingredients can be replaced with non-medicated chocolate so anyone can enjoy them.
See if Nugg delivery is available your area and get baking today!
Warning: Please consume these edible snacks responsibly and in moderation. Be mindful that edibles usually activate within 30 minutes to four hours after consumption.