For the modern-day cannabis-user, the infamous “drug test” can pose a daunting challenge, as it can be difficult to naturally pass. The truth is, company-sponsored tests can force you to make difficult decisions about your health and/or career.
Luckily, there are a few (natural) preventative measures you can take to ensure you don’t lose your job on account of ingesting your prescribed medication.
For the recreational marijuana-user, there’s really no excuse; you can pass a drug test by simply not consuming cannabis for X amount of time before the test (more on how to determine X shortly). But for the medical user, things become more difficult. Not impossible, but difficult.
- Drug tests seem to spring up out of nowhere.
- Your employer isn’t just going to announce to the whole company when it’s time to cut down on those bed-time blunts.
- All blunts aside, it should cause everyone concern that not even the Supreme Court thinks the rights of medical cannabis patients should be upheld.
- In a recent unanimous decision by the Colorado Supreme Court, employers still have the power to fire employees if they don’t pass a company-sponsored drug test. In fact, an Oregon TV anchor was recently fired after failing a company test, and she’s since become a cannabis activist (something to do with cannabis still being a Schedule I substance, we guess).
- 61.8% of U.S. companies conduct drug testing for illegal substances.
- A drug test CAN typically trace marijuana use within the past week.
- A drug test CANNOT indicate frequency of use, nor can it detect the severity of impairment or whether the user has substance-abuse problems and should seek rehabilitation.
- A drug test typically cannot tell the difference between the use of illicit street drugs and the use of legitimate prescription drugs (oh, the irony).
- A urine test is by far the most common type of drug test administered.
- Marijuana continues to be the most commonly detected illicit drug.
- In 2013, marijuana positivity reports for the combined US workforce reached 1.7%.
But back to the topic at hand. If you’re a recreational smoker or vaper, chances are, with some due diligence, you’ll find that simply quitting your cannabis consumption ahead of time is the most natural, sure-fire way to pass your drug test. While studies have provided some insight on how long THC stays in the system, the topic’s largely still debated.
Despite estimated detection periods provided above, you usually aren’t given the option to delay your drug test. Not surprising, right? How many Yahoo Answer Questions have you read asking for advice on how to get rid of traces of weed in less than 24 hours? 48 hours? 4 days? If you haven’t see any, you should check this out.
The sad reality is that for those of us using cannabis to treat severe illnesses and pains, naturally ridding yourself of it for extended periods of time can be a major challenge, even a health risk.
In either case, here are some do’s, don’ts, and other tidbits of information we think will help on your quest to naturally beating a drug test. First, we’ll point out that we don’t condone medicinal drug use on the job and we’re not doctors, so don’t take the following advice as gospel.
That being said, we are trained in curating the best information from around the web, so check out these tools to get THC out of your system, at least temporarily 😉
Blood, hair, saliva, urine—pick your poison. Well, as we mentioned before, urine tests are the most widely administered, so that’s likely going to be your venom. Luckily, our most confident suggestion for how to pass (in the most natural way possible) is most compatible with the pee test. Things are already looking brighter, right?
SEE ALSO: Americans Favor Drug Testing Congress
- Stop consuming cannabis for at least 30 days prior to your test. You really need 90 but 30 days should be just enough time to get your THC-COOH levels below the 50ng/mL concentration level that’ll cause you to fail. What’s more natural than just quitting consumption?
- Accelerate the process by flushing your system with water 3-4 hours before the test, forcing your body to metabolize the THC-COOH faster. Just don’t over drink because too much water can dilute the urine sample and trigger a re-test. While it’s not exactly commonplace to chug water on the spot, it’s not unnatural to drink water either.
- Don’t trust cheap “drug screen” products claiming to disguise drug use in your sample. Just don’t. They won’t work and their claims that a highly secret mix of vitamins, herbs, and electrolytes can block your body’s toxins from being emitted through urine is just a bunch of hoopla. There’s probably zero organic value in them and they sure as hell won’t provide a “natural way to pass a drug test!” as exclaimed on their packaging.
- Don’t spark up a joint right after your test. There’s always a chance something went wrong with your sample and you’d have to take it again. Be safe and try to wait at least a couple days before medicating.
- Don’t make excuses. False positives are nearly impossible if conducted by a legitimate lab company. No, the professionals who perform these drug tests for a living didn’t screw up yours; and, no, second-hand marijuana smoke can’t produce enough exposure to influence your urine test.
- Walk into a lab with fake pee (yes, we’ll admit, this method is completely not natural or normal in any way) and you’re taking a big risk. Unless you know exactly what you’re doing and understand the consequences of being caught, this is a dangerous path to pursue. We don’t know about you, but strapping a urine-filled condom to your thigh doesn’t sound like a walk in the park (although there’s a much more viable alternative to this method, a.k.a The Whizzinator).
- Tamper with the sample by adding adulterants like Visine, bleach, salt or detergent and risk detection that, if not first noticed by smell or sight, will almost always be found when tested.
So there you have it. The easiest, most natural way to pass a drug test is to simply stop your cannabis use. For mild cannabis users, at least 10 days before your test should be adequate. For heavier users, we’d recommend at least a month.
Good luck! And don’t forget, once you’re in the clear you can kick-back, relax, and order cannabis delivery right to your door!